John`s cv can be downloaded here:
John joined Addleshaw Sons & Latham in Manchester as a trainee solicitor, where he qualified in 1984. John remained with the firm as a commercial litigation specialist and in 1990 was made a Partner. With his fellow Partners John expanded and developed the business, gaining wide experience in advising and representing a variety of clients across a range of commercial issues.
The firm grew substantially over the 1990s/2000s with two major mergers and became Addleshaw Goddard LLP, one of the UK’s leading law firms, with annual fee income of c.£200m and offices in the Middle and Far East. John’s work frequently involved complex and high value claims including, for example, representing a Russian mining company in an ICC arbitration with a US supplier of heavy equipment and, more recently representing the claimant in the reported High Court case of Barclays Bank plc v. Grant Thornton UK LLP  EWHC 320 (Comm).
After nearly 35 years with the firm, John retired as a Partner in April 2017. During John’s long career with the firm he at various times held positions as Recruitment Partner, Risk Partner, Head of Department and Board member.
Now retired from the firm, John brings a wealth of experience of working with clients and their opponents to resolve their disputes, helping to achieve out of Court settlements in most cases.
John’s approach is to prepare thoroughly to ensure he understands the details of the dispute, to gain a good understanding of the interests and needs of the parties and to help formulate a strategy for navigating the dispute through to a clear conclusion.
For many years John has been rated in both the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners legal directories as a leading individual in his field, this year in Chambers as the “Eminent Practitioner” in the region.
He has attended numerous mediations and has an excellent track record of achieving successful settlements.
John is an Accredited Civil & Commercial Mediator, recognised by the Civil Mediation Council and the Solicitors’ Regulation Authority. He is also a member of the Professional Negligence Lawyers’ Association. John sits as a trustee of two charities and has held non-executive director positions. He is also a Senior Adviser to the The Judge, a specialist litigation funding and insurance broking company based in London and New York.
John is married to Alison, with 3 grown up children. He enjoys many sports – both watching and participating – and has a keen interest in history.
EXAMPLES OF JOHN’S EXPERIENCE
- A claim brought by a bank against its appointed surveyors regarding the alleged overvaluation of a commercial property.
- A dispute concerning the drafting of legal documents for the formation of a leisure complex in North America.
- A case concerning alleged breaches of restrictive covenants and confidentiality provisions in a consultancy agreement.
- A dispute regarding investment and tax advice given to an individual when investing in an Enterprise Zone.
- Allegations of professional negligence against the auditors of a company concerning a fraud perpetrated on the company.
- A range of issues between shareholders of a family retail business.
- A dispute between a company and its insurers concerning notification of a thirdparty claim made against the company following a factory fire.
- A case relating to advice given to the directors of a company entering voluntaryliquidation.
- A dispute between a partnership and one of its partners following the giving of atermination notice.
- A claim for professional negligence against a firm of solicitors in relation to thehandling of Court proceedings.
- An issue between a sportswear supplier and a Premier League football clubconcerning a licensing and sponsorship agreement.